Saturday, April 21, 2012

Peters at the Pops

Last night we went to the last of this year's Cincinnati Pops concerts, and it was a good one.
"Broadway sensation" Bernadette Peters was the headliner, and she filled the long second half, keeping us with her the whole time.
Performing everything from the red-hottest "There Ain't Nothin' Like a Dame" you've ever seen or heard to a lullaby she wrote for her children's book, she demonstrated her remarkable versatility. The concert made me wish I had seen/could someday see her on Broadway. 
A trained vocalist would need to evaluate her voice. My layman's ear found it strong, often sultry, sometimes a little raspy, but able to achieve a wide range, including clear, quiet high notes. It did falter or crack two or three times toward the end of the concert, but those who noticed didn't seem to care. No one would guess she's 64, but I'll believe that fact, quoted in the Cincinnati Enquirer's interview with her last Sunday. She really does look as good as this publicity photo (left). 
Here's proof that I DID see Bernadette Peters--
this grainy picture I took from my seat Friday night.
We met Bill and Verna Weber for dinner before the concert at Cactus Pear restaurant in Clifton. We were there about 6:15, which gave us time for a relaxed, enjoyable dinner before leaving to drive down Vine Street to Music Hall for the 8:00 concert. Both they and we have decided not to renew our Pops subscription next year--they because Verna is still looking for a job and we because I wasn't blown away by all the concerts in next year's series. I hope to attend at least a couple of them, though. Amy Grant will be here for the Christmas biggie, and about a year from now Mandy Patinkin will close the seasons's series. We've seen Amy in person before, but not Mandy, and I think I'd like to.
All things must come to an end, including the lighted Pops
sign that was the backdrop for Erich Kunzel's Pops
concerts, in favor of this one when John Morris Russell
took the podium this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment