Saturday, June 9, 2012

Grilled Vegetables Might be the Best Vegetables!

We used the grill for the first time this year. I'm a little surprised we're getting started so late, but I needed someone to help me lift it onto the deck from it's winter storage in the garage, and I didn't get anyone asked till Matt was here this week moving Jennifer's leftover furniture into our place. While he was in lifting mode, I asked him to help me move the deck.
"Didn't I help you lift this off the deck?" he asked. And I remembered, yes, he did--when he and Jen visited us in October. Maybe the week before the wedding I can actually COOK someone for him on the thing, since he's been so good to help me haul it around.
I grilled chicken and vegetables for supper. Terry and Shirley Wuske joined us, and we enjoyed catching up with them; it's been too long! They're working hard on the house they bought and they're redoing from front to back. I hope their evening here was a little respite for them.
I grilled asparagus, an onion, a yellow pepper, cremini mushrooms, and cherry tomatoes to go with the chicken. A recipe on the Food Network website suggested a vinaigrette of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, herbs, and garlic to pour over the vegetables after they're grilled. We used Evelyn's family recipe for a hot marinade (vinegar, butter, and a few other ingredients) for the chicken. It always makes it good. Uncle Ben's rice and sourdough bread from Ferrari's Little Italy and Bakery (last night's dinner) rounded out the meal, with a peach pie from Shirley for dessert.
Today, the 9th of June, I FINALLY got all my winter stuff out of the closet and all the summer stuff out of storage. The almost-90-degree day was a clue that I wouldn't be wearing sweaters again for awhile! Also arranged books on the bookshelves we inherited from Jennifer and went to the grocery store.
Tomorrow I lead the song service in the Classic Praise service, subbing for Dave Lautzenheiser who will be on vacation. And Jim and Norma Pierson are planning to spend the night with us, on their way from Chicago where they're visiting this week back home to Knoxville.

No comments:

Post a Comment