Sunday, June 17, 2012

Grillin' in the Rain

I grilled chicken in the rain today for our Father's Day lunch.
It seemed like a good idea--before it started raining. We had the chicken and the vegetables for the grill and some fresh corn on the cob from Station Road Farm, and we decided to grab supper in combination with a shopping trip last night instead of fixing that stuff. So we saved it for lunch today.
It was a beautiful, sunny morning. Still pleasant around noon when I fired up the grill and cut the chicken into kabob-size portions. I oiled and salted and peppered the vegetable chunks, threaded the skewers, and laid it all out on the hot grill.
Wendy was sitting outside with me on the deck, enjoying the breeze.
"Hmmmm, it looks like it could rain," I said.
And then we felt a few drops.
So we came inside.
And then the sky opened. The raindrops steamed and evaporated off the hot grill lid, and I watched from inside, with one eye on my watch, trying to figure when the chicken would be cooked (and wondering if it could do so without my poking, turning, and fussing over it).
Soon I got a windbreaker with a hood and braved the shower to go check on the meal. I cut a couple of the kabobs to make sure the chicken was finished. I had planned to brush barbecue sauce over it all during the last minute of cooking, but Evelyn and I had already given that up.
The rain slowed, I brought the hot (and not too wet) skewers inside, and the meal was fine. Excellent, actually. Evelyn picked some leaf lettuce from my abundant patch in the flower box on the grill and made wilted lettuce. We ate carrot cake from the freezer (leftover from Jennifer's wedding shower) for dessert, and it was all good.
The rest of the day was low-key and quiet. Enjoyed long talks (and much discussion of wedding weekend details) with each of the kids.

Wendy joined us at church this morning, and I snapped this picture of these three pretty ladies (Wendy, Cindi Cooper, and Evelyn) in the foyer after the first service.


No comments:

Post a Comment