Sunday, January 13, 2013

Thinking about Storms and Change

We were blessed with another wonderful sermon this morning. Trevor spoke about Elohim, our great almighty, strong, preeminent, God of majesty, the God of energy who created the world out of nothing. The part of the sermon most moving and memorable to me, however, was his retelling of the Gospel account of Jesus asleep in the boat with the disciples when the storm almost overwhelmed them. Interesting, and enlightening, to me that the disciples were as afraid by his calming of the storm as they were by the storm itself. I wonder, am I more afraid of the storms in my life or of God's intimate involvement in my life to calm them?
I decided to use the text from Mark as a lectio divina reading for our volunteer prayer time at work tomorrow morning.
Thanks, Ann Horsely and Liz Wellage, for letting me
snap your picture just before we went
to the auditorium to help lead worship.
I sang on worship team this morning and enjoyed the fellowship with the other musicians on the platform.
After church we grabbed breakfast at Bob Evans, bought a mirror for our dining room at Lowe's, and stopped quickly at Kroger's before coming home to cocoon and stay warm and dry while watching the rain pour outside as we sat at the kitchen table.
I made a false start and then started over and finished a draft for my column we'll post at ChristianStandard.com Thursday. I'll read it again tomorrow and see if I think then that it deserves the light of day! I found an interesting quote about change:
Loneliness, insomnia, and change: the fear of these is even worse than the reality.
Mignon McLaughlin
The quote, and the reality and prospect of changes at church under the leadership of our new minister, inspired me to write a whole column about change. We'll see if I think we should publish it!

No comments:

Post a Comment