Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Cold Temps, Warm Hope

This thermometer lies! Maybe it's just not equipped to register the temperature as cold as it really is outside, which according to weather.com is 17 degrees! I could get up in the middle of the night to see if it shows the low of NINE degrees that is predicted, but I'll be too comfortable under the comforter, resting on our heated mattress pad, to investigate! (We've always suspected this thermometer registers the temperature a bit higher than the reality. The sensor is high on the wall of the front porch, close to the brick--which retains heat--and near the ceiling--where the hot air rises. If you can call 24 degrees "hot," this thermometer is registering "hotter" air than the weather service's gauges outside in the middle of the cold, clear air.)
I'm so grateful to be so comfortable when so many--and some of them probably not more than 15 minutes away--are threatened by this cold snap. Like I told a friend on e-mail tonight, these temps give us an excuse to pull out the wool sweaters and some hope that next summer's bug population will have been reduced.
I wrote e-mails tonight to a bunch of people who had asked for information about our June cruise/tour but had never said, "No, not for us." I'd really like to pick up one or two more couples, but the deadline is February 2, and the info has been out since last fall, so I'm thinking the 10 (plus Evelyn and me) on my list will probably be the total. We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment