Monday, March 3, 2014

Weekend Update

It was a fine weekend.

Friday night we grabbed dinner at the Indian restaurant and then retreated to the family room to watch a couple of TV shows.
Saturday I took my taxes to the preparer. It was not good news, and I went to our HR department today to have my withholding increased. (I should have done this sooner, even though there are a couple of unusual circumstances this year that really socked me.)
Saturday afternoon we went to see Megan Lockhart's basketball game at the Mason Community Center. I had told Matt some time ago that we'd love to see her play, and this was the day. It was great to visit with Kim and Logan, and it was GREAT to see Megan's sixth-grade team, the Lady Shock, soundly beat their opponents. Megan herself had a great game, including making 3 of 4 freethrows, allowing me to grab some good pictures of her.
That evening we ate at Relish Modern Tapas (I had a Groupon) and then went across the street to the Regal Cinema to see The Monuments Men. Paul Friskney had told us, "Every ordinary person I've talked to likes the movie. It's only the critics who didn't like it." Call us ordinary. We liked it!
Sunday we awakened to rain, with the promise of snow and sleet before the day ended. The church decided to combine all worship in the main auditorium ad 9:00 and 10:30 (instead of two or three venues each hour). I would guess our attendance was 50% or less. When we arrived a little before 9:00, the parking lot seemed empty. (The crowd grew in the next 20 minutes, though.)
When we left about 10:30, it was sleeting. "Let's go to the store now, on the way home, so I don't have to go out again," I said, and Evelyn readily agreed. We stopped at Kroger's, and when we were leaving, the sleet had changed to snow, big flakes of snow.
Evelyn made cranberry-orange scones for brunch. We enjoyed them with scrambled eggs and turkey bacon and some strawberries. It was a wonderful meal!
I wrote a draft of an editorial after lunch and went outside about 3:00 to shovel the first round of snow while Evelyn graded papers from her Human Development class. (It snowed again later, hard, till about 9:00, and you couldn't tell I had shoveled.) 
When I came in I began assembling vacation pictures into a Shutterfly book till suppertime. Evelyn made vegetarian flatbread pizzas on purchased Naan, and we watched Dateline while we ate it. Then we saw a few Oscar guests on the red carpet before settling in to watch the whole show, starting at 8:30. (I can't remember when Evelyn and I both have stayed up all the way to its end. I guess it's a retirement thing with her!)








No comments:

Post a Comment