Friday, April 20, 2012

"Older" Isn't the Worst Thing

Today is Jennifer's birthday, and we called her while we were riding to meet Verna and Bill Weber for dinner before attending the Cincinnati Pops concert tonight at Music Hall. (It was a treat to see and hear Bernadette Peters. I'll plan to say more tomorrow.)
"How does it feel to have a daughter who's 36?" she asked. (We were conversing via the speaker phone feature on Evelyn's cell.)
"How do you think it feels to BE as old as WE are?" I responded. But I didn't speak our ages out loud.
With Bill and Verna at dinner, we were laughing about my tendency to puddle up. "I'm just so nostalgic," I said.
"It gets worse as we get older," Evelyn said.
I was talking about Jennifer's wedding with a friend at work. "She knew better than to ask me to perform it," I said. "I just hope the two of us can get down the aisle with dry eyes!"
If I shed a tear at the wedding (I can hear a couple of good friends: "If? IF?"), it won't be because I'm unhappy, or because I think she is.
"She sounds very happy," I said to Evelyn after the conversation was finished. What more could a parent want? She celebrated her birthday with her groom-to-be and his kids: Chinese buffet and then back home for the birthday cake he baked. She promised a picture. But for now, I'll post one of their family engagement pictures. (I think I've exercised remarkable restraint for not posting one of these before now.)
Yep, we're all getting older. And that's not a bad thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment