Wednesday, April 25, 2012

One Good Thing About the Church

Here's the good thing about the church, or one of them, that is:
The church is always there, week after week, regardless of what else is happening in our lives. Our job may be giving me fits (ask me if I can relate to this), our health may be going south, our aging bodies may be failing us, we may be frustrated by any number of people around us as we cope with difficult situations.
But whatever is changing--or ought to change--in our lives, the church is always there. Every Sunday it plans worship that points us to God. Every week we see faithful followers of Christ who gather with us to encourage and be encouraged.
It's easy to get disgruntled when church or worship is too much the same week after week. Today, I'm grateful for the dependability of the church week after week after week.
This thought comes to me tonight because of that change factor in my life--some things are changing too much, and some things not enough--and after attending worship team practice this evening. "We'll do our usual five songs," the worship leader said. Would more variety than that be better? Maybe. But routine isn't all bad. Meanwhile,  I'm grateful for the faithful Christians who were there for rehearsal tonight. It encourages me to see their year-by-year Christian life. I'll think about that as we sing some familiar songs at worship time this Sunday.
Benji Maurer and Greg Henderson at worship team practice tonight--two faithful
Christians at Christ's Church at Mason.

No comments:

Post a Comment