Friday, April 27, 2012

Happy Birthday to Me . . .

I decided to take off work on my birthday . . . to work in the yard!
That's not all I did. I woke up at the regular time, read through the newspaper with a cup of coffee (a luxury sometimes enjoyed on Saturday), checked Facebook, ate a cup of yogurt and watched a little of the  Today show, checked Facebook some more (those birthday greetings on Facebook are great, aren't they?).
Finally got outside a little before 9:00. It was cold! I was bundled up like Nanook of the North. Tried out  my new handy-dandy Stihl edger, tried it out for more than an hour, that is. The grass growing over the edge of the sidewalk was a thicket, all up and down our driveway and along our front sidewalk. But the new edger slashed through it all, leaving piles of grass to sweep up. The clean-up took as long as the edging. My handy-dandy blower isn't nearly as handy. After 2 or 3 stints of yanking the start-up cord maybe a dozen times, it finally started, and I was able to blow away the dust and small pieces of grass after having filled half a garbage can with the big stuff. I was ready for a break--and getting hungry at 11:00, so I came in and fixed myself some scrambled eggs and toast and coffee and checked Facebook some more while I ate it. Then I settled into that easy chair in the living room . . . and fell asleep for a few minutes.
About 1:00 I was back outside, digging weeds around trees and bushes in the back yard. It doesn't sound like much, but there were a LOT of weeds in those beds, and I found a couple of perennials that needed to be moved. So I was still at it about 4:30 when Evelyn got home from work.
Hopped in the shower so we could leave for our special birthday dinner at Ember's, a wonderful restaurant in Kenwood. I had a Groupon I was saving for a special occasion, and we decided this was it.
Ember's specializes in steaks, and I had the pan-seared 6-ounce filet mignon--tasty with mushrooms and onions and gnocchi. Evelyn had the sea bass, over pasta with artichokes and tomatoes. I had a taste, and it was yummy; my steak melted in my mouth, really. We split the Asian egg rolls and the chopped salad, and the restaurant comped us dessert since it was my birthday. Every bite of the whole meal was great.

The waitress snapped our picture when the creme brulee came. That's an "Embers" cookie resting on top of it.

After that we stopped by Old Navy to use a 20%-off coupon we had found on Facebook, then to Macy's where I picked out an immersion blender that Evelyn said she'd give me for my birthday. Then, the major accomplishment of the evening--a swing through Dillard's resulting in TWO mother-of-the-bride dress possibilities in our proud possession. Either of them of are much cuter than the first choice.
Evelyn's going to try them on for Jennifer when she's in town next week.
Not a typical birthday, but all in all, a very pleasant one!

No comments:

Post a Comment