Monday, February 18, 2013

In My Opinion . . .

Wrote a draft of my editorial for our April issue today. I'll read it again tomorrow and see if I still think it's worth publishing. Our April issue doesn't go to the printer for more than two weeks, so this is really something that I'm getting it done so soon!
I still have to write the column that will go live on Thursday, though. And I haven't decided what to write about.
One possibility: those meteors (or is it meteorites?) last week make me think about the end of the world, when, the Scripture says, the world will burn. Seems to me it wouldn't take many of those dudes hitting the earth at the same time to make that prophecy come true. But that sounds a little quirky, I know, so I'm not sure it's an idea that deserves the light of day. I want to do a little research on what others are saying about the spate of apocalyptic movies that have come out recently. Is it possible that even the culture-at-large senses what many Christians are feeling; that is, that the barrage of evil and suffering we see all around us cannot keep going on.
Another possibility: USA Today had a major article on super-cocooning, the practice of spending big bucks to assemble electronic diversions and at-home comforts so that a family can entertain itself almost exclusively under its own roof. If this trend catches on with a wide swath of the population, what will this mean to the church? We already know about Internet churches, mobile-app devotional guides, and small groups that meet by Skype. Will a hunkered-down, plugged-in generation see the need to go to buildings for worship and fellowship? Probably. But it IS a trend worth noting.
The mundane reality of today is that Evelyn has a "CHECK ENGINE" light in her car, so I drove it today and left it at the garage after work. The owner's manual says, "Take to your Toyota dealer immediately" when the light comes on, but I have a better solution: Barnes garage and towing. An honest mechanic is hard to find, and I'm so happy to have one, especially now that both of our cars are way past 100,000 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment