Thursday, February 14, 2013

Thunder and Thoughts--Some Sweet and Some Not

So here's the thing: deciding on a list of under-40 leaders who will help shape the face of our movement in the next decade is a lot harder than it sounds.
There are a BUNCH of dynamic leaders under 40 years old in our fellowship. But which of them is influencing beyond their own situation or location? And how do you really evaluate that--in a way that will seem fair to those who see this report (and in a way that will seem fair to those NOT chosen)? I spent quite a bit of today chewing on that. I hope to come to some closure with this by the first of the week.
The day began very well, with a good discussion of the Seven Churches of Revelation with my Thursday-morning men's Bible-study group. My friend Milt Pippenger recommended to me a wonderful book he has used as background when he taught the book of Revelation. Reversed Thunder: The Revelation of John and the Praying Imagination is by Eugene Peterson, the paraphraser who produced The Message. I read through his chapter on the Seven Churches yesterday and chose a couple of spots in it to read to the guys during our discussion this morning.
The book is full of application, with just the right amount of Bible background and explanation to show why the application works. I'm looking forward to reading it as we proceed through the whole book.
Today's Valentine's Day. I had an e-mail today from a lady who was writing to me and several men about something else.  "It's not too late to get your wives roses for Valentine's Day," she said as she ended her note.
"I already ordered tulips for my wife for Valentine's Day," I answered, "because I know she loves 'em."
And she did!
Evelyn and I worked at the Healing Center tonight, but we're going to try for a nice dinner out tomorrow evening. We exchanged cards today, though; we each chose one sentimental and one semi-outrageous.  (The pictured card is not the outrageous one!)

No comments:

Post a Comment