Friday, August 24, 2012

The Perfect Day to Share a Perfect Sand Castle

I knew I wanted to share this picture sometime, and today (when I don't have a picture of anything interesting that happened today--so far!) is the perfect day.
This is a sand castle like none other I've ever seen! Sculpted from sand on the Copacabana beach not far from the hotel where we stayed in Rio de Janeiro last month. On our last morning there, Evelyn and I walked for quite awhile down the beach and then back up, toward our hotel on the sidewalk across the street from the beach, where we could find some shade. Just before we left the beach, we came across this remarkable sculpture. The man who made it was sitting beside it, asking for donations from those who wanted to take a picture. He tried to explain in halting English how he had built it and how he coated it with something to help preserve it.
I thought about posting this with something "inspirational" about building your house upon the sand vs. building it on the rock or something like that. But, dear readers, you've heard all that before. So I'll just say I wanted to post this remarkable handiwork for you to enjoy too, just for what it is.
Spent today catching up on correspondence, cleaning up my e-mail account (deleted HUNDREDS of unread e-mails--oh, what a mess I am!), and helping Diane Jones stuff mailings with a sample issue of the new monthly Christian Standard. I need to plan my work for next week before leaving at 5:00 to meet Evelyn and John and Mary Jane Burgess to go see the Reds play tonight. (THOSE pictures can be in TOMORROW'S post.)

No comments:

Post a Comment