Friday, August 31, 2012

We're All in Transition!

My friend Alan Ahlgrim sends an e-newsletter each week to members of his congregation and anyone else who would like to get it. Alan is an excellent writer; I always enjoy seeing what he sends. But today's encouragement reflects on the death of Don Jeanes as I did yesterday, with more substance and thoughts worth sharing. So let me share here what he wrote . . . .


It was stunning news. Early Monday morning an old college friend suddenly died. Don Jeanes was a classmate of Linda and mine at Milligan College. After graduating Don went on to serve as the minister of two different congregations and then as President of our college for 14 years. He had just transitioned to a Chancellor role when he collapsed

 I’ve been bragging about Don lately as one who finished well when he retired as President.The college was in terrific shape. He and his beautiful wife Clarinda were a devoted couple, and their on-going kingdom investments were fulfilling to them and making a difference for many. Now with no warning Don is gone, gone but not forgotten.

How long do you think it will be before you are gone? I just finished Bob Buford’s book, Beyond Half-time, in which he tells of a friend who almost died. His friend had been hospitalized in serious condition where he was nuked with every antibiotic known to man. As he lay flat on his back in bed for endless hours he had plenty of time to think.

Do you know what ran through his mind? 
Am I leaving the way I want to?” Bob said, “It was 90% relational. It was not about getting financial affairs in order, but about getting relationships in order!”  His friend wondered, “How do I die so well that it blesses and encourages people? How do I die in an other-centered way? I made an inventory of my calling. What have I left undone?”


 I’m working on a fresh list of things to do and people to touch. How about you? Our life is defined not just by our activities but also by our accomplishments; not just by the roles we fill but by the relationships we enjoy before we “transition.”

News flash: we’re all in transition! Life is a series of endings and beginnings and one day we will all face the ultimate one.  Actor James Dean once said, “Dream as if you’ll live forever; live as if you’ll die today.” Soon after that Dean died in a car crash at the age of 24.

“Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered – how fleeting my life is. You have made my life no longer than the width of my hand. My entire lifetime is just a moment to you; at best, each of us is but a breath.” Psalm 39:4-5.

“I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live, even after dying.” Jesus (John 11:25)

What do you yet need to do to leave well?

No comments:

Post a Comment