Saturday, March 3, 2012

You Might Not Call It Interesting

Picked up some bananas from the bounty at Kroger's today . . .
. . . and some green onions from the overflowing "organic" aisle.
I was talking with a friend about his blog, to which he posts sporadically. And I mentioned that I was committed to adding to my diary every day, whether I had anything substantive to say or not!
His reply, "Well, you have a more interesting life than I do."
I'm not sure the last couple of entries here would support that thesis. The reader can decide for himself if today qualifies as interesting.
This morning I attended a meeting with a group of leaders from my church. We met from 8:00 a.m. till almost noon, and it was 12:30 before I left. Can't say much more than that right now about that meeting, but it was important and memorable and a privilege to be a part of it.
After that I came home, and Evelyn fixed us fried egg sandwiches for lunch. (Very good on toast with peach salsa!) I skimmed through the Wall Street Journal and the new Time magazine, browsed around on Facebook, and paid bills. Evelyn took her walk and came home and made the grocery list. Then I embarked on one of my favorite activities of the weekend: grocery shopping! I treated myself to a decaf latte from the Starbucks kiosk at Krogers (this is something I virtually never do). By the time I got home, it was already 6:00 p.m.

I had decided to make supper, but Evelyn did about half of it. We made a recipe I had found on Pinterest: Tomato and Mozzarella Pasta Al Forno. A fancy name for a simple dish. Accompanied it with some wonderful fresh asparagus (Kroger had it on sale) and a salad of baby romaine leaves with a homemade vinaigrette Evelyn had in the refrigerator. A very nice dinner.
Soon we're going to watch a movie I found on the Redbox site and picked up while I was at Kroger's. The Way. Haven't heard of it. I'll report tomorrow what I think and whether we'd recommend. The trailer looked interesting, so we decided to give it a whirl
Interesting? Maybe not. But a good Saturday for us, nevertheless.
Today our friend Verna Weber aborted her trip with her husband Bill to see their family in New Zealand, because she got word in Los Angeles that her mother, Mildred Holmes, had gone back to the hospital.
 She was due to get into CVG this afternoon, after her 8 a.m. flight from Chicago had been cancelled. (We're assuming she took the red eye from LA to Chicago overnight last night.) Very disappointing for her, I know, and we're so sorry for her.
Sometimes "everyday" and "mundane" are good!

No comments:

Post a Comment