Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Cleaning Clerk and the Begonias

"The price is $36.84."
The teenager at One Hour Martinizing read the tab to me.
"Well, I have this Groupon. So I'll pay what's left after you deduct this."
She punched keys on the computer/cash register. "OK, so that's $29.15."
"No, the Groupon is for $20."
"Well, it says here, the Groupon is for $10 after expiration."
"Right, but it hasn't expired yet. $20 off."
"Oh, I'm still learning how to do Groupons," she apologized. She punched more keys on the cash register. "That's $19.95," she announced.
"No the Groupon is for $20 off," I said.
She returned to the keypad. "$10.15!" she reported.
"$36 minus $20 is $16," I reminded her. She stared at the mess she'd made with all the numbers she had entered and punched a few more keys. The machine produced a receipt. "$15.50," she said.
I smiled, handed her a $20 bill, and wished I'd stopped at $10.15.
Not the most significant part of the day, but probably the most memorable. At work we had another art meeting for December, I handled a bunch of correspondence, tied up some loose ends on our December issue, had a good conversation with Matt Procter about NACC articles for Christian Standard and his idea that we offer student subscriptions of CS to Christian college students, prepared for a couple of meetings tomorrow.
This evening watched the Reds lose their second of four games to the Giants and previewed the Truth Project tape our men's group will watch tomorrow morning.
They're predicting a 32-degree overnight low, just as the begonias in front of the house look their prettiest. I decided to take a couple pictures of them before they freeze.


No comments:

Post a Comment