Monday, October 22, 2012

What a Friend!

Every Monday several of us at work get together for a brief prayer time, and those who attend take turns leading it. Today was my turn, and I didn't have a better idea than a passage mentioned in yesterday's sermon: John 15:13-17. These few verses are from the long discourse Jesus delivered to his disciples on the night before he was crucified. Here he says, "You are my friends if you do what I command. . . . I chose you . . . to go and bear fruit. . . . This is my command: Love each other."
I read the passage in sections, paragraphs, with about a minute of silence after each one. Then I distributed a handout with the following four headings and asked those who attended to jot down prayers they would pray or challenges they feel under each of these headings as they meditated on the passage.
     Commands to obey
          Fruit to bear
             Thanksgiving for my Friend
                 Love to demonstrate
It seemed to be a meaningful time.
I spent most of the day cleaning up some loose ends and then jumping into proofreading for our December issue. I really don't like proofreading, and it's hard for me to keep at it--especially now with these 64-page issues.
Evelyn is a "floor sponsor" at CCU, and she invited the students on her floor to come for dinner tomorrow night. So far, 10 have said they're coming, and we spent much of the evening getting ready for them. Evelyn did most, getting food ready for tomorrow's dinner. I brought in some flowers for the table. We still haven't had a hard freeze, and many of our flowers outside are still beautiful. (Picked some tomatoes yesterday, too.)
Tonight a picture of the bouquet. Tomorrow a picture of the young ladies!
As I write this the presidential contenders are arguing with each other in the last of the presidential debates. The election is only two weeks away. It's difficult to believe it will actually happen and be over. It seems it has dominated the news for as long as I can remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment