Thursday, October 11, 2012

10-11-12

The bad news: After going to my men's group this morning and then filling my tank at the Kroger's pumps on Mason-Montgomery Road, my car wouldn't start; wouldn't even turn over.
The good news: The man filling up at the pumps ahead of mine said, "I think it's your battery. Do you have any jumper cables?"
The bad news: I don't have 'em, because I don't know how to use 'em.
The good news: The Good Samaritan who reached out to me found some cables from a kid two bays over. He jumped my car like a professional and gave me advice about where to buy a new battery.
The bad news: There was no way I was going to buy a battery and try to install it myself.
The good news: The mechanic I've learned to trust, Dale Barnes in Mason, was open for business when I arrived at his shop a little before 7:30. He tested my battery, determined it was dead, hooked up the car to an auxiliary battery so the car's computer wouldn't reset, and replaced my battery with a new one. And I got to work by a little after 8:00.
The best news: The battery didn't fail at a Quick Stop somewhere in Kentucky or North Carolina while we're on the road this weekend. I felt really blessed as I tooled down Mason-Montgomery Road on my way to work.
And after work I ran the car through the car wash--first time since the wedding in June, I guess it was about time. My Camry is a little beat up on the outside, but I still take it to the car wash because of all the work those fellows do to clean up the inside, including the windows. We should have a clear view of the changing leaves on what promises to be a pretty day between here and North Carolina.
My view of the swishing car washers through the windshield from inside the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment