Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Grass Is Always Greener . . .

The grass is always greener . . . when you pay a guy to dump fertilizer on it, when he spreads gypsum and lime and then aerates and adds grass seed. THEN the grass gets greener. And as I was mowing tonight, just 5 days since Evelyn mowed it while I was gone this weekend, I was looking closely at the neighbors' grass so I could feel good about all the money I'm pouring onto my lawn. The issue, of course, isn't just GREEN. It's green-ER. No pride here, of course, it's just a desire to upgrade the environment, you know.
Anyway, while I was mowing, I looked carefully at the lawn just beyond my driveway, and I felt a slight sense of satisfaction because I do believe that one neighbor, at least, has a yellow tinge to his lawn that I'm just not seein' in mine.
Of course several days in a row of steady rain hasn't hurt anybody's lawn, and I have to admit that a quick drive through our neighborhood shows everyone's lawn looking a lot like spring.
We had a 70-plus degree afternoon today, with green lawns under trees turning gold and maroon, and it was just beautiful. I even enjoyed mowing the lawn!
I got out of the office at lunchtime, because my buddy Robb Faust needed someone to pick him up from the car rental office after he returned the Toyota he drove to the NACC meeting this week. I was glad to be in the warm autumn air. But tomorrow I think I'll stay in all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment