Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Whining from a Night Person

Our Thursday group is doing a three-week study on prayer that I developed in anticipation of
participating in an all-church study October and November.
This week I'm beginning a regimen of getting up by or before 5:00 a.m. to be at the church by or just
after 6:00 a.m. TWICE each week.
Some observers might think I've chosen this plan because I am a morning person. I AM NOT.
For some time now (how many years has it been?), I've met with a circle of guys on Thursday mornings for Bible study. That is continuing this year. Tomorrow will be the third Thursday we've met this September as we're starting a new school year. We meet at 6:00 a.m. and finish shortly after 7:00 so everyone can get to work.
A few weeks ago Jim Baird asked me to participate in a study they've been offering to men in the church: "No Man Left Behind," a course about how to disciple men. Dale Reeves suggested to him that he ask me. It's meeting on Tuesday mornings at 6:15, I think for eight weeks.
So twice each week I'm setting out all my clothes the night before and making sure my briefcase is packed and easy to find, sliding my change and phone and keys onto the bathroom counter so I won't have to hunt for them in the dark in the bedroom, and aiming for bed by 10:00 p.m. so I can get up around 5:00 (actually on Thursdays I set the alarm for 4:50!). The goal is to slip out of bed, close the bathroom door in the dark before turning on the light, opening and closing cabinets and drawers as quietly as possible--all in an effort not to wake Evelyn.
She, by the way, IS a morning person, and also a very light sleeper. And now in this first semester of her retirement, she has me bumbling around at least an hour before she would normally get up (and at least 90 minutes or more before I would prefer to).
I need to commit myself to seeing some growth happening in me in exchange for these upsets to my natural body rhythm. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment