Sunday, May 6, 2012

A Good Day

"Isn't it interesting," Tom Moll said in his sermon this morning, "that the first church received no instruction to meet on the first day of the week. But from the earliest days of the church, they consistently met on Sunday to commemorate the resurrection of the Lord."
I'd never thought of it that way; I think it's a good point to realize that for 2,000 years Christians have consistently met on Sunday to worship the Lord, primarily because of the example of those in the first church and in the generation before them.
My wife and I go to church every Sunday. Once every so often business  or even pleasure travel keeps us away from church, and  I can miss without feeling guilty in those situations.
But it never occurs to either of us NOT to go to church on a typical Sunday--here or on the road. I know most readers of this blog are of the same mind. But I remember a Christian Standard column Paul Williams wrote some time ago reporting that church leaders now call those who come a couple of times a month "regular attenders." Ethan Magness told me about an interview with a new Christian at his church:
"So how often do you figure a person should come to church?" the new Christian asked Ethan.
"Well, we think people should come every week," Ethan said.
"R-e-a-l-l-y!" the guy responded. He was shocked.
I wasn't shocked at church today. I was blessed, though. And I usually am, even when I'm not expecting it. Besides the thought Tom's sermon stimulated, at church today we had meaningful, sometimes fun, conversations with several people we saw there--folks involved in our lives in many different ways, several of them for many years.
We stayed for the beginning of the Classic Praise Service to hear the special four pianos, eight hands prelude several friends played as the prelude to the service. "Special." Yes. But in a way typical too. There's too much too good at our church to risk attending only once or twice a month.
And of course, this is more special than just come club or group of acquaintances whose company I can't miss. The fellowship factor is important, but God is at work at church in ways that don't impact me in other settings.
Sunday. It's a good day. It's the Lord's Day. It's when we go to church.

No comments:

Post a Comment