Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Right Here, Under the Rainbow(s)

Evelyn called me while I was getting my hair cut to say she was in the basement. "They say the tornado is heading east from Indiana, and people close to the outlet mall should take cover." We're one exit south of the outlet mall, so she took cover.
It had been pouring rain, torrents of rain for 30 minutes or more. But but the time I was finished at the hair cutter and heading home, the rain was diminishing and the sun was trying to peek through the clouds.
The weather warning blared on the radio, and the voice said a tornado was headed across I-75 and toward Lebanon and Warren County. Or at least that's what I thought I heard it say. I looked to the northeast, and the clouds seemed angry and blue-gray above the horizon, but as I headed home, the sky ahead seemed to be clearing.
Evelyn was getting supper ready when I arrived, and we ate without incident.
Later I stepped out on the front porch to look at the sky and smell the clean air. At first I heard the raindrops hitting the leaves of the giant river birch just outside our front door. And then I felt them; by then I was standing on the walk outside our small porch's shelter.
I came inside, and the rain began pelting the roof and our deck harder and harder.
I was reading the chapters in King's Cross for my men's Thursday-morning study. Soon I looked up to see Evelyn heading for the patio sliding glass door. It was still raining, but the sun was shining from the west toward the black clouds in the east. And there was a rainbow, a full rainbow that stretched from one side of the sky to the other. And above it, faintly, a second rainbow!
I must have snapped a dozen pictures. None of them does justice to the brilliant color of this rainbow, maybe the prettiest we've ever seen.
Jennifer kids Evelyn for her recurrent ecstasy whenever a rainbow appears. Her ooo's and ah's and squeals of delight at this one (these two!) were typical. I'll have to admit, the display this evening merited them, immediately brushing aside any other notion of what I should remember about today to record in this diary/blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment