Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Older and Richer

My adventure with the Ambassadors Choir at Mason Christian Village this week has got me to thinking. One thing I've been thinking about is ageism. Of course all of us think older people are those just older than ourselves. I think older people are maybe 75-80. I'm guessing my kids think older people are about my age.
In any case, we tend to think that older people can't do what we do or don't feel what we feel or don't understand what we have figured out.
And as I've watched these lovely people sing all the medleys of Hollywood hits this week, I realize it isn't always true. In some senses it isn't true at all.
My picture doesn't adequately portray the effort and concern for excellence that these folks demonstrate in their approach to their program. Nor can it show the sweet expressions on so many of their faces when they sing love songs or the way they've embraced and mastered difficult syncopation or harmonies.
"Thanks for the Memory" was one of the selections, and I can tell that so many memories are infusing song after song as these folks sing them. Maybe that's the difference between young people and older people; the layers of memory are so much deeper for the older. Deeper, and richer.
It's fun to do this little program with the Ambassadors choir. It's creating memories for me that are making my life richer.

No comments:

Post a Comment