Friday, May 4, 2012

It's All About Choices


Took time away from work today to attend the Chick-fil-A Leadercast, hosted by Prasco in Mason, Ohio. They had an overflow crowd at the beautiful Prasco facility, part of 125,000 nationwide who viewed the sessions via uplink satellite as well as several thousand who attended live in Atlanta.
There were many inspiring and helpful sessions. The theme of the day was choices. "All choices lead you somewhere. Where they lead is up to you." The first session, led by Andy Stanley, was probably the best one.
He said a leader is the one not intimidated by the uncertainty he's facing. An effective leader, he said, acknowledges, "I may be in charge, but I don't have all the answers."
In the face of uncertainty, effective leaders ask themselves three questions, he said:
1. "What would my replacement do?"
This brings remarkable objectivity to the decision-making process. And "losing objectivity can sink you."
2. "What would a GREAT leader do?" This question takes you out of the smallness of your personality and your environment. It leads you to consider the right course of action driven by the mission and vision of the organization and away from your concerns about self, income, or the reactions of the board.
Bill Baumgardner and I posed during
one of the breaks.
3. "What story do I want to tell?" "Every time you make a decision," Stanley said, "ask yourself, 'When I'm sittin' around talkin' about this later, what do I want to tell?' Don't choose anything that will make you a liar in the future. Make decisions that create a story you're proud to tell. Money comes; money goes. Your story is with you forever."
The program featured Tim Tebow, Soledad O'Brien, John Maxwell, Marcus Buckingham, Patrick Lencioni, plus others. A couple of the speeches were summaries of new books, but the content was good, and I'm guessing I ought to read the books!
I'm glad I attended.
Got to see Ed and Angie Carl, Dale Reeves, Lindsay Black, Scott Gibson, Larry Travis, and Bill Baumgardner, among others. It was a good day. I made a good choice by deciding to be there instead of behind my desk at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment