Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Ministry = Recruiting

I remember when I was working part-time on the church staff that I learned something about ministry I wasn't sure everyone else on the staff had decided: Ministry is all about recruiting folks to do things. Whatever your ministry role, you're not doing it by yourself. This is because you by yourself can't do everything that needs to be done, and because we are called to equip others to do the work of the ministry too. So the minister is always holding out his hand and inviting others to join him in God's work; he will show them how to do it. (And sometimes, they show him!)
I remembered that thinking as I was trying to decide what to write about here today. It occurred to me that I spent much of the day recruiting. Not only am I still working on filling slots in the two projects I mentioned yesterday, but I also spent a fair amount of the day today recruiting writers and a designer for future issues in Christian Standard. It would be satisfying to me to have a job that could be accomplished solely on the strength of my own endeavors, I suppose. But for now, like most involved in ministry, I'm busy recruiting others to serve with me. And that's satisfying too.
Cleaned part of one bathroom and worked with Evelyn to finish transforming the living and dining room from winter to spring. Finished studying Revelation 7 for my Bible study Thursday morning.
Evelyn made one of our favorites for supper: white chicken chili. I like our recipe better than any "tortilla soup" or white chili I've found in any restaurant. And after enjoying tonight's batch, we still have leftovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment