Thursday, March 7, 2013

Revealed

I really enjoyed leading the discussion at our men's Bible study this morning. We're working through Revelation--I chose it because I felt particularly uncomfortable with the book. And I must admit I haven't felt completely comfortable trying to lead some of our discussions so far. But for some reason, I was more satisfied with the way today's session went.
For one thing, I devised some discussion questions and activities quite apart from anything suggested in the several resources I'm using. For another, I used the white board as a part of that discussion, and I think it's an excellent tool for stimulating response and helping a group summarize what it has decided and learned. I had planned more for us to discuss than we had time to get to, which may be another positive indicator. They say the best teaching is from the overflow, and I found myself remembering points and questions without being tied to my notes or to the guidebook we're following together. And the guys themselves bring meaningful insights to the discussion and helps from their study Bibles that left us all (I hope!) feeling more comfortable with the chapter (Revelation 6) after our session than before.
It was a heavy topic, evil and God's response to it at the end of time. In many ways I feel insulated from the evil that characterizes existence for so many people in the world. But it's good for all of us to consider how the Evil One is present and active, even in our own upper middle class, suburban worlds.

No comments:

Post a Comment