Sunday, March 17, 2013

A Time for Healing

I was blessed to be able to help lead in two worship services this morning, the 9:30 service in the auditorium and the 11:00 Classic service in the chapel. Trevor preached about Jesus, the healer, to rapt attention in both services. His points offered many take-aways for me:
1. Everyone needs healing.
(I already knew that I do, but it's nice to hear.)
2. Jesus is the ultimate healer.
"He came to heal the human condition."
"Physical healing was not why he came, though."
"Too often our idea of healing is, "Heal my spouse and leave me alone."
3. Jesus heals the whole person.
"Sometimes the physical is not the most important part."
"Remember what Paul said, 'To live is Christ, but to die is gain.'"
4. The church is God's healing hand on the world.
"The healing hand we offer is so much more than physical" (James 5:14-16).

  • Admit you're sick.
  • Go to the doctor.
  • Do what the doctor says.
And then, jumping off the teaching in James about the sick calling the elders for prayers and healing, we invited people forward at the end of all four services Sunday for prayer. A line-up of elders and former elders was stationed across the front of the auditorium at all the services, with small vials of oil for anointing those who wished it. 

I was prepared for it to be a moving time, but not prepared to be more moved at the Classic service than at the 9:30. Before Trevor could finish talking and we could start the hymn at the end of the service, one little white-haired lady came forward and knelt at the platform for prayer. And then the sight of so many walking slowly, some on canes, at least one accompanied by someone helping her walk the aisle, touched me in a way I didn't expect. 
"I can hear my Savior calling . . .
"He'll go with me through the judgment . . .
"He will give me grace and glory . . .
    "I'll go with him, with him all the way."
We sang the song, repeating the refrain several times and allowing the instruments to play without singing at least twice as people continued to come forward. Some were young people who attend this service. One young man, maybe 30 or more, came forward in an emotional decision to be baptized. It was wonderful.

Between the services a Christian friend and I were talking. She has been in the church all her life, and she's a faithful servant at Christ's Church. She had a sober, thoughtful expression on her face. "We're in a time of transition here," she said. And then with a small shrug, "But if this is making my kids want to come, I'm all for it." 
As I drove home I had tears of joy for the renewal I'm experiencing in my own spirit as I attend worship these days . . . and tears of grief for an experience of church I'm losing and may not have again; tears of submission to what  God may be doing among us . . . and tears of nostalgia for my youth gone and a vision on the horizon of  a new generation, vital and vibrant and leading in new ways.




No comments:

Post a Comment