Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Alive Periodically

Quote of the Day:
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
—Howard Thurman, quoted by Facebook friend Christie Clayton on her status feed today.


Picture of the Day:
I guess it stands to reason that a magazine editor would read magazines. Well, I read lots of them, and before Christmas I succumbed to Christianity Today's offer to begin a yearlong subscription to that magazine and Leadership Journal for $10 each. I've been carrying around my first issues, hoping to find time to read them and wanting to see what lessons I could learn from them to apply to our work with Christian Standard.
Of course, these two standouts, plus Outreach Magazine and World Magazine, outclass Christian Standard on many fronts for many reasons, not the least of which is their staffs and their budgets, much larger than our operation supports.
In addition to these magazines, I regularly see Time, Sun, Better Homes and Gardens, and The Wall Street Journal, plus leafing through Evelyn's Real Simple and a quarterly gardening magazine.
But not everything one reads should be new or a periodical, and there are some books calling my name in 2014.
Actually, the cover of the latest issue of Christian Standard doesn't stack up too badly against
these Christian "competitors," do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment