Tuesday, September 25, 2012

A Full Day, an Attractive Deck


Spent the day at my desk, crossing off items that must be finished before I leave town tomorrow afternoon. Got quite a bit done! Wrote my column that will be posted Thursday at ChristianStandard.com. Prepared copy for the Christian Standard e-newsletter that will go out tomorrow or Thursday. Looked at the first proof for our November issue and worked on pagination and some layout tweaks with our managing editor, Jim Nieman. Handled details for the trip: downloaded Mapquest directions for the driving around I'll be doing Friday thru Sunday; checked in with Delta and printed my boarding pass. Did a bit of assigning for an upcoming issue.
Got my haircut after work, and Evelyn and I enjoyed chicken salad leftover from the weekend for supper.
Decided to snap a picture or two of the flowers on our deck. They won't be with us much longer. There has been some frost around here already. I was pruning and feeding the flowering plants, urging them to bloom some more, especially before our company came last weekend. The blooms are not as abundant as in July, but the plants are quite healthy, and the display is still pretty.
One thing about a garden in pots is this: when something starts doing poorly, you can just hide it or remove it. When something that looked puny finally takes off, it can move to center stage. I've enjoyed arranging and rearranging them throughout the summer to give us a pretty view out our breakfast-table window.
But when the frost comes, I won't be sad that I don't have to water any more!
Watering won't be a problem when I'm gone this week, because rain is predicted almost every day for the rest of the week. Maybe some of that grass seed the lawn service put down will sprout!

No comments:

Post a Comment