Sunday, September 30, 2012

Go East, Old Man!

Flew home today from California. Drove to LAX via Pacific Coast Highway from Camarillo where I spent two nights with Charlie and Bev Maloney.
We had a great day yesterday--long visit sitting at the bar between their kitchen and dining room over a great breakfast Bev had cooked.  Then a drive up the coast to Santa Barbara. It was a splendid, sunny, warm afternoon. The ocean sparkled around the Santa Barbara Pier where we wandered among the shops, enjoyed the views of the shore and the sailboats and yachts, and finally ate supper at a restaurant at the end of the pier, Moby Dick's. I had wonderful fried scallops and lobster bisque--very good, indeed!



Then we came home, I grabbed a 20-minute nap on their couch, and then we went to a presentation by Samaritan's Purse at their church. We came home to enjoy a little snack plus another piece of the wonderful pumpkin pie Beverly had bought at Costco (I'm gonna look for one of those here!).
It was a relaxing day, catching up with two lifelong friends, surrounded by beauty and in their comfortable home. I'm really glad I took the chance to go visit them instead of flying straight back from Hope after speaking there Thursday.
The drive along the Pacific Coast Highway through Malibu to Santa Monica is a nice experience. I didn't want to take a chance on getting tied up and missing my plane, so I didn't stop along the way, but there are some wonderful vistas there. It was a peaceful way to end the trip. I sang hymns and had a brief worship time while I drove, remembering the body and blood of Christ as I sang and drove. (I definitely don't believe we all ought to go out and "have church" alone in nature instead of "assembling with the saints." But if one must miss church, taking time to actually remember it's the Lord's Day while you're alone is better than ignoring it altogether.)
Read a little better than half the proof for Christian Standard's November issue on the plane on the way home. After 9:00, Evelyn and I watched the premier of a new series, "Elementary," she had taped earlier this week. I think we'll watch it again!
I'm looking forward to tying up a bunch of loose ends at work this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment