Wednesday, February 1, 2012

A Beautiful Day for Good Reading

I came home to an empty house because my wife, the dedicated exerciser in the family, was outside walking with our neighbor. It was a warm, beautiful, springlike 60 degrees outside. The pinks and oranges in the sunset were an invigorating contrast to the rainy, gray days we've seen so much this January.

I spend much of many days reading, and today was no exception. When David Faust left The Lookout as executive editor to become a freelance columnist for the magazine, we missed the contribution his weekly proofreading gave us. So now, Shawn McMullen, editor, does that proofreading, and sometimes he asks Jim Nieman, Christian Standard managing editor, or me to read the proof.
I got a preview of the March 18 edition
of The Lookout when I read its
proof this morning.
Today I read the proof for the March 18 issue. It's a good one! A review by Marshall Hayden of the churches he visited during the first year after he retired as minister of Worthington Christian Church, a nice article about deaf ministries in Indianapolis, and part of the Sunday school lesson treatment written by Jennifer Taylor!


This evening I'll finish preparing to lead the discussion at my men's group that will meet tomorrow at 6 a.m. That's right, I said 6 a.m.
We're studying Romans, and tomorrow we're ready for chapter 10. We're following an outline suggested by John Stott's Romans: Encountering the Gospel's Power, published by InterVarsity. It's a solid, dependable guidebook, but sometimes I prefer the discussion questions in the old Serendipity New Testament for Groups. What I need to do yet tonight is decide which questions out of Stott and which questions out of Serendipity I'll choose to guide our discussion tomorrow. I'll tell how it goes in tomorrow's post.

No comments:

Post a Comment