Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Evergreen Goes Orange

Evelyn and I helped serve the monthly Evergreen banquet this evening. She got to church about 4:00; I left work at 4:00 and got there by 4:20. We put cake and salads on plates and then put salads at the tables--216 guests came for dinner tonight. Evelyn helped serve a the buffet line and I bussed tables (removing the salad plates while they stood in line for the main course). There were a dozen or more workers there. And most all of us helped serve dessert after the main course (and after more bussing of the tables.)
This evening's theme was carrots, because the musical guests were a quartet called Wild Carrot. (I got to hear them sing a couple of numbers--wonderful voices, perfect blend, accompanied by a variety of acoustic instruments they played while they sang).
So leafy-topped carrots in bud vases made the center pieces. The salad was a carrot gelatin combo. And for dessert? What else but carrot cake?
In addition to the fun of the fellowship, the pleasure of serving at these deals is getting to EAT the wonderful meal that's always offered. Evelyn and I enjoyed it.
We here home by about 8:15. I changed clothes and watered plants outside. Then Evelyn and I read on the deck till it was too dark to read. Then I sat outside and watched the night settle in, listening to the birds chirp, watching the breeze turn up the maple leaves. Just before it was finally dark, Evelyn (having brushed her teeth, washed her face, and put on her pajamas) came outside to join me. We scurried inside by 9:45 when we felt the first mosquito bite.
I love to just be outside in the summer. It was relaxing and rejuvenating to do so this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment