Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Vacation Diary—the Vatican

The jet lag has really thrown me for a loop this week, but every day is better. I'm almost feeling human now. Sunday morning I was up at 5:00 and got through two weeks of work e-mail before we went to church that morning! Monday morning was the same story, and I got to work very early. Yesterday I woke up at 3:15 (after having collapsed in bed about 9:30 Monday evening) and determined, "I am NOT getting up yet!" I took two Tylenol P.M. and had no trouble sleeping all the way till the alarm went off at 6:00! Last night was a little better, but I was up before 6:00 this morning, so I'll take advantage of this time to post another entry about our trip. (Dentist appointment this morning means I don't leave the house till about 8:00.)
After flying all night from Newark to Rome, we got on busses and drove straight to the Vatican Museum. It was raining--a steady, unrelenting rain. The temperature was about 58 degrees, with an intermittent breeze. And we stood in line in that weather for more than 2 hours to get in the place.
This was a much less than glamorous way to begin our European adventure, but the visual treats inside the museum and around the Vatican were worth it. By the time our tour got started, the rain had stopped, and we had sunshine for our bus trip to the hotel where we could cast off damp clothes and take wonderful, warm showers.








No comments:

Post a Comment