Sunday, April 7, 2013

Sunday, Sunday

Today was the first Sunday for our new service schedule. Dave Lautzenheiser had asked me to be
worship host in the 8:30 a.m. chapel service, and it was a blessing to be there. The choir sang two beautiful anthems, and Kim Rodarmel stunned with her clear, high soprano rendition of "Great Is Thy Faithfulness."
Trevor began a new sermon series, "Greater Than," and today's topic was "Greater Than My Anger." Five points I jotted down on my outline:
1. Allow God to search your heart for hidden anger (Psalm 4:4).
2. Do not harbor anger (Ephesians 4:26, 27). "In you anger do not sin."
3. Find your security in God (Psalm 4:8). Anger is almost always a byproduct of fear.
4. Repent from destructive speech and actions (Ephesians 4:29-31). Anger is usually expressed in destructive ways. Anger must always be expressed in love.
5. Forgiveness is the antidote for anger (Ephesians 4:32).
Frankly, I was concerned about attendance at this new, earlier time, but the room was comfortably full. (A few who used to attend the Blended service chose this service today.)

Evelyn attended the 9:00 service, and I snuck into the balcony to try out my new camera and listen to the end of the sermon. Then we hung out in the lobby and visited with friends before departing by 10:30.
The earlier start to the morning meant we were to breakfast and back home earlier than ever before, which made for a nice, long afternoon. I wrote a draft of my column for this week. We took our walk. I grabbed a shower and then went to Kroger's. We were able to get our lunches packed before supper, and then we enjoyed Costco's tomato basil soup and watched "Sixty Minutes," followed by a rerun of "Duck Dynasty" we had never seen. (We've become fans only recently, so there are a LOT of those episodes we've never seen!)
Dave rehearsed with the choir at 8:01 a.m. 

No comments:

Post a Comment