Thursday, July 18, 2013

It Was Wonderful!

This will be one of those "make-up" diary entries I mentioned yesterday. Let me be one of the last writers in the blogosphere to add my reflections about the North American Christian Convention last week in Louisville.
In a word, it was wonderful. I suppose if I were to add a second word it would be exhausting. By the time we were driving home Friday afternoon about 3:00, I was completely spent. Evelyn drove, and I napped.
Highlights for me:
  • Getting to interview almost a dozen of the convention's main session speakers and special guests, including Wayne Cordeiro, Eric Metaxas, Ken Davis, and, most memorable, Joni Eareckson Tada. They were universally gracious, with meaningful challenges for me personally and every Christian. The interviews will be posted, one or two at a time, over the next couple of weeks at ChristianStandard.com.
Eric Metaxas was passionate and personal.

Wayne Cordeiro was warm and wise.
  • Working with Tim Antkowiak of Southland Christian Church, who did all the videotaping of the interviews. Tim went above and beyond what we asked him to do: brought in a green screen so he could insert unique backgrounds behind the interviewer and his subject; created a lead-in tape with background music; edited the feed from two cameras into one smooth program. He told me he's spending about 3 hours of editing for each 10-15 minute interview. And he couldn't have been more pleasant or flexible or dependable during the convention itself.
  • Bunking with Miles and Jennifer (as well as Evelyn!) in the Marriott for the week. It was a special joy to see Miles enjoying the convention, meeting Jennifer's friends, and showing his potential as a young Christian man. And he's fun! 
  • Hearing Sam Stone choke up when he got to the end of his speech at the Cincinnati Christian University banquet, on the line, "There's no one I would more like to see receive the Legacy in Leadership Award than Mark and Evelyn Taylor." There are so many years and experiences and shared memories contained in that moment.
Sam and Gwen posed with Evelyn and me after the CCU banquet.

  • In spite of the busy schedules, enjoying special times with relatives, coworkers, and friends at several special meals. I'm thinking in particular of our Tuesday-night meal with the Aulen clan, my Tuesday-night dessert with Paul Williams, and our Friday-afternoon lunch celebration hosted by Robb Faust for all of us who had helped him pull off the Standard display. 
  • The sermons! As I wrote at the Christian Standard website, the preaching moved me more this year than any year I can remember. You really should go to the NACC website and listen to several of them. My favorites: Matt Proctor, Aaron Brockett, Randy Harris, Rick Atchley, Joni Eareckson Tada. (And the other two were outstanding, too! Listen to all of 'em!)



No comments:

Post a Comment