Wednesday, July 17, 2013

It's My Diary. I'll Be Gross if I Want to!

"You're going to POST that picture?"
Evelyn was somewhere between disdain and shock when I showed this to her. But, hey, it's my diary, and next year or 10 years from now I want to remember this--in all its grossness.
The shingles are scabbing over. I wear a shirt with a collar during the day to hide the most of it. But I'm not shaving, and my best efforts to look preppy are wearing thin.
We're a week and a day into this process. I'm hoping the medicine truly will speed this up (I've heard stories of suffering from 4 weeks to as long as 6 months!).
They really don't itch and chafe too much--mainly because clothes are not rubbing against most of them. There's a dull ache that comes and goes. I seem to be able to stave it off with ibuprofen. It LOOKS worse than it FEELS most of the time.
I think my testimony has moved more than one person to investigate the shingles vaccine. I say, "Go for it!"
We're in the midst of a massive heat wave here. Along with all my other "this could be worse" scenarios is this one: I'm glad I'm not laying asphalt or stringing telephone wire for a living. Of course, in that case, I probably would have called in sick and stayed home in the cool. I've been working up a sweat the last couple of evenings just hauling water for my patio pots. Thirty minutes of mild exercise creates the need for a clean T-shirt.
I need to do some retroactive diary entries. I have pictures to post and commentary in mind. I hope to get to it soon.

1 comment:

  1. Ouch! You have my heartfelt sympathy. I came down with chicken pox while in my doctoral program at ACU (oddly, it is rooted in virtually the same virus as shingles). I have never felt so bad with an illness. Nothing like when kids get it. Hope I never go through shingles. Glad you are finally on the mends.

    ReplyDelete