Sunday, May 18, 2014

A Beautiful Sunday

I heard the sermon twice today, and I was blessed both times. Trevor DeVage preached at 9:00, and Brad Wilson preached in the Classic service at 10:30. We attended the 9:00 audtorium service, and then I led the singing in the Classic service for Dave Lautzenheiser who's on vacation. Actually, I was a sub for the sub! Jason Newlon was supposed to lead, but he returned Saturday from a business trip to India, exhausted from an inability to sleep while he was gone.
The memorable point from the sermon, which retold the story of the remarkable defeat of the Assyrian army against King Hezekiah because of God's intervention to bless the godly king: reliance leads to redemption. I think we all need to learn to rely on God more completely.
For lunch we tried a new fast-food Italian restaurant on Mason-Montgomery Road, Piada. We both liked it well enough to go back, although Evelyn wasn't as thrilled with hers as I was with mine.
Then we went to Natorp's and spent my birthday gift certificate (almost) on a hanging basket and a plant to put in it, plus succulents to plant in the wall planter Jennifer gave me last year, plus my free perennial with coupon and any purchase.
We came home and Evelyn mowed a little more than half the yard while I went on a wild goose chase for coco liners for several of our planters. I was gone longer than I planned, and didn't get everything I wanted, even at that.
I finished the mowing, edged the lawn, and blew away all the clippings. Then I filled the planters on our deck. My idea this year is to have an all-foliage pot garden. It's off to a good start, I think. We'll see how it looks when the plants have grown more, in a month. (The beautiful hosta and the purple heart plant were saved from last year. I saved purple shamrocks all winter, too, which will go in the rectangle planter in the back. And the sedum came from the yard.)
Evelyn made flautas for supper, and we watched one segment of 60 Minutes as well as a few minutes of America's Funniest Videos while we ate them.



No comments:

Post a Comment