Sunday, August 11, 2013

Facebook God Thoughts and Gratitude

Sometimes gratitude to God comes in the midst of well-planned worship services. Sometimes it surprises you at times you weren't expecting. I've had plenty of the first experiences, but today, it was the latter.
I was at church, but "backstage" during the second chapel "classic" service. My duty today was to "host" at both chapel services; one meets at 8:30, and a second identical, sparsely attended service meets at 10:30. That's a LONG morning, and when I host in both, sometimes I  bring my laptop to work or catch up on Facebook before time to lead the Communion service and offering and announcements at the end of the second service, about 11:15.
When I scrolled through my Facebook News Feed while the church sang hymns on the other side of the wall, I discovered:

  • pictures and posts from my son, Geoff, and his wife, Lisa, reporting their successful climb to the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro; 
  • a picture from Forefront Church in Brooklyn recording a women's event there yesterday when my daughter, Jen, was the guest speaker; 
  • and a tender obituary written by Amanda Mays Bledsoe describing her grandfather's life of faithful service and witness. He was father to my former classmate, Christian leader Roy Mays, who died prematurely several years ago. 

From my seat in the dark in a corner of the chapel stage, I could hear the congregational song, "To God be the glory--great things He has done!" And I was washed by the realization of the great things God has done in my life, largely because of the people he has allowed to influence and bless me.

A few snippets to make my point:

Geoff's post:
Yesterday, Lisa and I started off from base camp (15,100 ft) at midnight. Wearing 7 layers and a headlamp, we hiked for 6 straight hours uphill, in the dark and freezing cold. At about 6:20 we reached the summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro, 19,341 feet, just as the sun was rising over East Africa. It was easily the hardest thing I've ever done and my wife was with me every step of the way. She is one tough cookie!

And Lisa's:
After 5 days of trekking, we left Base Camp (15,331 ft) just after midnight on Saturday morning and began our ascent to Uhuru Peak (19,341ft). We hiked for over six hours up the very steep switchbacking rocky trail in the pitch black in sub-zero temps with a hostile wind that made our lungs burn as we gasped for what little oxygen there was. For hours on end, all you could see were the lines of head lamps stretching up the hill ahead and down behind. Finally, just before 6am, we heard a cheer up ahead as the hikers ahead of us reached Stella Point. We arrived at Uhuru Peak in time to watch the sun rise over East Africa. I cried with relief - it was the hardest thing I've ever done. 
The sappy bit: I loved experiencing every moment of this adventure with my sweetie Geoff Taylor

The thing that moved me about their posts, besides the sheer difficulty of their physical and emotional achievement, was the fact that the whole experience meant much to each of them because they reached the goal together. They're pursuing many goals--not only for vacations and not only in their work, but as Christians seeking an influence in the lives of other Christians and non-Christians around them.

Just a couple of the pictures Lisa took on their trek:




The picture from Forefront. That's Jen, in black, facing the large semicircles of women reached by this growing New York City congregation:


She had written earlier that she was looking forward to the chance to speak with these women about living a fulfilling life pleasing to God--whether single or married, with or without a man in their lives. (Planners had originally envisioned the event as for singles, and then they broadened it for any woman who might come.)

Evelyn and I are so proud that Jennifer is being recognized in several circles for her leadership and maturity and insight. And I thought of her good husband, Matt. While she was in New York he was faithfully finishing preparations for another Sunday's services where he has preached in Pennsylvania for quite a few years.

What more could a Christian parent want than for his children to serve God and love their spouses?


And a few details from Amanda's obituary:

MAYS Roy H., Jr, 91, received and accepted his homecoming invitation on August 9, 2013. To receive him was his wife of 59 years, Thelma Thompson Mays, his son of 54 years Roy H. Mays III, his sister Maxine (Howard) Hanks, his mother and father Roy H. (Rachel Elrod) Mays Sr., as well as numerous friends and a host of witnesses. He left a strong legacy of faith for his family to follow. . . . A lifelong Lexingtonian, he graduated from Maxwell Elementary, Lexington Junior, and Henry Clay High School, enlisting in the US Army Air Corps in 1942. As Staff Sergeant, he served during World War II as radio operator and navigator. A charter member of Southland Christian Church, he taught Sunday School for 37 years serving as Elder, Deacon and Elder Emeritus. President of both the Southern Little League and Dixie Babe Ruth in Lexington, he was a founding member of UK's Fellowship of Christian Athletes and loved investing in the lives of his community's youth. 

Every time I read an obituary I subtract my age from that of the deceased. In this case, it's a large enough number--large enough to still have some impact, large enough to still reach some goals, large enough to allow for quite a bit of spiritual and emotional growth, large enough to affect the legacy I'd hope to leave some day.

"Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, Let the earth hear His voice!
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, Let the people rejoice!"

I was rejoicing this morning, in the dark, with my laptop open, while I was browsing Facebook. It was a moment of worship I hope I'll remember for a long time, which is why I made the effort to record it here today.

No comments:

Post a Comment