Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Look What Was Waiting for Us When We Got Home . . .

We got home today from our visit to Amish country, and while I was filling the sprinkling cans to water the plants on the deck (they really needed the water), my eyes fell on our four tomato plants, laden with ripening fruit.
I picked the ripest. There's more out there waiting for us. Evelyn and I ate one of them for supper, and I'm taking some cherry tomatoes in my lunch tomorrow. The one we ate tonight tastes homegrown--I think we'll be tasting them every day for the next couple of weeks.
This morning up in Berlin we went food shopping--first at a country store where we picked up some South Carolina peaches (had one of those for supper too) and some Amish-made jelly. Then on to Heini's Cheese Castle. (Go ahead and make jokes about the name--we did!) We got some cheese spread and a few small blocks of cheese and threw it all in a cooler we had brought anticipating some food purchases.
We stopped for a late lunch in Grove City, OH and were home before 4:30. I (we) had plenty of time to tend to the yard, unpack, go through the mail, bring the checkbook up-to-date, clear out some of my work emails, and pay bills.
It was nice to be away. I'm ready to get back at the work ahead of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment